Tuesday 29 October 2013

Leeds Castle’s hero conquers Africa's highest mountain

Ian Fagg is the Maintenance Co-ordinator for Leeds Castle, where he has worked for over six years. In September, Ian literally pushed himself to new heights by undertaking the Kilimanjaro Hiking Challenge in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support.

After over a year of disciplined training, climbing in the mountains of Cumbria in preparation, Ian flew out to Africa on the 12 September to begin his challenge of a lifetime.

Joined by a group of other dedicated fundraisers, together they attempted the incredible 5900 metre climb to the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, the world's highest freestanding mountain.

Ian raised a total of £2500.00 through his JustGiving fundraising page & sponsorship forms.

On returning from the climb, Ian said:

“I decided quite a few years ago that I would love to climb Kilimanjaro, but has taken me until now to get my act together and go for it, I also wanted to raise money for a good cause whilst I did it and so decided on Macmillan Cancer support as I have come to know so many people that have been touched by their work in both small and large ways.

Our trip followed the Machamé Route and we spent seven days on the mountain, instead of the normal six. This gives you more time to acclimatise to the altitude, even so it was a challenge that pushed every physical and mental boundary to the limits.

Although I didn't quite make the summit due to suffering from altitude sickness I did get to roughly 5600m!

The most important thing is that I managed to raise lots of money for an amazing cause, so thanks to everyone who has supported me.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment